Monday, August 10, 2009

With butter and everything.

My mother recently arrived with Shanda in tow to perform a little wedding dress shopping. Leaving good Sir Robert to fend for himself this time, we headed straight for David's Bridal where I desperately wanted to try on this dress. I loved everything about this dress, especially the back... that is, until I tried it on. It just didn't fit, even after going up 2 dress sizes.

I was, as can be understood by anyone who has gone through this farce, annoyed. Not just at the disappointment of my dream dress being less-than-dreamy, but by all of a sudden finding myself looking at 4 numbers higher on my dress tags.

I find it easier than to bitch about wedding dress trends, rather than worry about whether or not my diet will slim me down in time. Take the disturbing phenomena of looking precisely like a Disney princess (tiara and all) on your wedding day. Listen, if Princess Grace didn't wear a tiara, what makes you think you can? Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh... but I really don't see the appeal of wearing anything that appeals equally to 5 year olds and brides.

Or how about the dresses where you look precisely like you're standing in mashed potatoes? Come on, people!

1 comment:

  1. I say by a dress in your actual size, not your hypothetical after weight-loss size. Particularly because you aren't fat and everybody is beautiful in a wedding dress even if they are fat. Also, if you do happen to lose weight, dresses can always be taken in. They can't usually be let out. My wedding dress was actually too big on me, so I could have theoretically stuffed my face at the reception and been perfectly comfortable (unfortunately I was nauseous the whole day and didn't really eat anything there!).

    I don't understand the princess thing either, but actually most of the rituals of bridehood are modeled after the fantasy of queeniness. Where do you think bridesmaids come from?

    ReplyDelete